RESTAURANT REVIEW: Home Spun Restaurant in Battle Creek, MI



Home Spun Restaurant
210 Columbia Ave E
Battle Creek, MI  49015-3735
(269) 962.5323

Last week we stopped in a small, local restaurant for the first time.  When looking at it from the outside, it might look like an older building that still hasn't quite recovered from the 90+ mph wind damage from this Spring's storms.  However, inside this restaurant is full of some of the most down-to-Earth, hard working, and dedicated people making some of the most delicious food you have ever had the privilege of eating!  Don't judge a book by its cover!  The food is delectable.

 

Mostly serving lunch and breakfast type fairs, this is only a morning and afternoon styled restaurant, so you need to come early!  When we walked in, it was about Noon on a Saturday, and it was packed!  This, of course, is the sign of a well established restaurant that retains its customers by having great customer service, and the best food around.  Seeing the crowd, and every table in the place packed with smiling, family faces, made me raise the bar as to what I was expecting-- now, I was expecting the best... and I was not disappointed!


The inside of the restaurant is older, and the bathrooms are nothing to write about about, but if you want some of the best food you have ever had, you will get it here at "Home Spun Restaurant" in Battle Creek, Michigan.  (And no, I don't get paid to say this, I paid for my food just like everyone else!  I just believe in sharing the good word of great places in Michigan!  So if you are in town for a trip to Battle Creek's Binder Park Zoo, stop by here FIRST for some amazing food!)


Being in Battle Creek, Michigan, known as the "Cereal City", you can of course try some of the famous Kellogg's brand cereal or oatmeal.  However, as with any "Mom & Pop" type diner, I asked the server, Dusty, what she recommended from the well-sized menu.  "Our omelettes are what we are known for," was her honest response.  So, taking her recommendation into account, I ordered one, with the special kitchen directions of crispy bacon inside the "bacon, egg, and cheese" omelette.  My husband ordered the plate-sized, short-stack of pancakes with some bacon and toast.


When the food came out, the first thing that struck us was the immense size of it (and for such a small price)!  OMIGOSH!!!!  The omelette was so humongous that I also immediately requested a box for my leftovers, because there was no way I was eating that much delicious food in one setting!  I think I had enough bacon to feed a family of 4 on my huge omelette!  My husband's pancakes were also perfect:  large, soft on the inside and crisp edges.  We're not talking microwaved pancakes like some big chain restaurants-- these were made with love, and came out from the kitchen the minute they hit the plate.


The above photo shows some of the amazingly fresh, crisp edges on their delicious, huge pancakes!  This cannot be faked, and tasted just as delicious as they look.  Trust me.


I think this is safe to say that this is some of the best bacon I have ever had in my life.  Very flavorful, and because we ordered it crispy, it had a well-done, but NOT burned, nice, crisp texture.

Overall, we would highly recommend Home Spun Restaurant to anyone who want to have great, down-to-Earth, hard working people making you fresh food and never leaving your coffee cup empty.  The climate inside the restaurant feels like a bustling, humming family place.  All of the wait staff (and even management) help on the floor.  It seems that all of the staff members genuinely care about their customers, and work hard to give them the best experience possible!  If you want to enjoy some good, old-fashioned, delicious, fresh food-- Home Spun is the place for you!  Please, give them a try!  You won't be disappointed!

Remember-- keep finding new places, good food, and great people-- and keep Living Michigan!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

RECIPE: Grilled Chicken and Mozzarella Ravioli with Toasted Rosemary and Parmesan Bread

Stuart’s Landing: Boardwalk in Marshall, Michigan

RESTAURANT REVIEW: Gallagher's Eatery & Pub, in Kalamazoo, MI